REMINDER: I do not speak for The Church of Satan. I'm just loud.
I Got to Raise Some Hell
So this interview is really exciting for me because I really love the Raising Hell Podcast. I’ve been listening to Milton and his guests for a little over a year now and it has helped me so much. This Podcast is amazing because it will talk about anything from Magic to Sex to Parenting to Disabilities and beyond.
One of my favorite people Milton brings on is Witch Troj. She is wonderful to listen to and she always has a way to articulate her opinions in ways that allow the listeners to absorb the information while drawing their own conclusions. He also has wonderful segments such as The Grownup Grotto, What Would Josephine Do, What the Wild Things Think, and more. I find each of these segments offers different information that pertains to both Satanism and Parenting.
To be clear, I am not a parent, I just want to be one day and I figure it’s probably best to start learning now so that I can be the very best like no one ever was.
And on that note, allow me to give the floor to my future friend (Oh yeah) Warlock Milton Cruver!
1) What Satanic qualities do you inject into your parenting? – Satanists have always had the innate privilege of representing our religion through the simple act of living, unlike other religions in which people are expected to follow a particular set of mandates. Satanism is not a religion one practices through an ideology which must be adhered to but which one identifies with as naturally defining of how one has always lived their life. This is what is meant by the dictum of, “Born, not made.” and we present ourselves accordingly. It is for this reason there could never be any indoctrination or proselytizing into or within our religion. Any attempts to do so are always met with the most resounding of objections from those who “get it”. The mentorship of our young ones, as I see Satanic parenting to be, comes from a curriculum of pragmatism and realism which exults in the magic of allegory, theatrical expression and symbolism. We are here to assist our youth in navigating the world unfettered by the chains of unreasonable expectations and assertively engage in showing them how to think instead of simply what to think. In tandem with this is our dictum of Responsibility to the Responsible. Rather than supporting an environment which extols a victim mentality of blaming others and making excuses, we champion the ego building lesson of being responsible for ones actions and holding others accountable for the same. Submitting to peer pressure is not a valid excuse for poor choices and we do not condone association with groups that undermine an individuals self-worth. In all things, we set the example for our children through living a life unashamed of who we are. If the first step in life is coming to a realization of what you represent, the completion of that circle in all its Satanic glory is being proud of what that is. You don’t have to be perfect. You just have to be you.
2) How often do you have to tell your children not to put things in their mouth? – Not as many times as perhaps I should. If it’s not going to poison them and it’s not a choking hazard, they can figure it out for themselves. Why deprive them of the adolescent joy of finding out that Mama’s fruity smelling soap does not indeed taste like mango lemon sherbet? And the humorously betrayed faces when that toy they’ve managed to cram into their mouth sticks out at all odd angles? Kids are far too often not allowed to test the world, even within the relative safety of the home. I think todays kids could do with a healthy dose of getting back to basics, and making a few more mistakes before they find themselves in the much less forgiving world of societal expectations and personal faux pas.
3) Describe your relationship to Satanism and The Church of Satan. – First and foremost I’d like to state that this relationship, as all should truly be, was consensual. Satanists live our religion. We are Satanism. There has never been a need for a brick and mortar Church as we carry our churches with us. In our hearts and minds and upon our bodies, the temple in which Satanism resides comes ready-made in the form of our fleshy vessel and quite appropriately returns to the earth when we leave this mortal coil. Those few who have opened their own personal lairs (the late Anton Szandor LaVey included) to worthy individuals of our cabal do so with a discerning eye and do not suffer the majority to partake in the comradery and ritual which takes place behind closed doors. As a Warlock in the Church of Satan I am active within the organization and the membership which it comprises.
4) Do other parents ever give you shit for being a Satanist? – There have been instances where those whom I associate with on a professional level uncover my association and involvement with what have been labeled, “the dark powers”, and approach me with venomous concern over how they think I must comport myself as a parent. With few exceptions, I have been able to not only allay those concerns but find common ground and now enjoy very supportive and enjoyable friendships with some of them. Parenting is one of those hot button topics which, rightfully so, people tend to take personal and concern themselves over greatly. It is more important to me that a guardian support the individual child through an open and honest relationship, than what they personally choose to believe or to what faith they ascribe themselves to. I’ve found myself agreeing most wholeheartedly with devout believers on some topics, while some of my atheistically inclined fellows hold opposing views.
5) What is your favorite salt-water creature? – I’m a sucker for the octopus. (HAHA)
6) Are you working on any projects currently? – As host of the Raising Hell podcast, I’ve been presenting the Satanic Perspective on Parenting for over three years now. I’ve colluded on a number of projects, some public and others more behind the scenes both within the organization and outside from media representatives and independent artists. There are several endeavors underway which will be released either towards the end of the year or in early 2019 which I’ve had a hand in and I look forward to seeing them come to fruition. Stay tuned!
7) What do you think your greatest accomplishment is? – In my young adult life, I take great pride in having successfully pursued a career in public service as a Fire Fighter while continuing my day job and supporting my family. Working through the required curriculum and academy time throughout the week and attending classes and events on the weekend makes for a busy schedule, but working towards a goal and setting an example for my children with a healthy work ethic and drive to succeed is immensely gratifying.
8) What’s your favorite scary movie? – This is incredibly difficult to answer, as there are a number of incredibly worthy movies. But if there was one I would recommend to people, it would have to be Dog Soldiers (2002). The basic synopsis is that a British Special Forces team is set to do war games against another special forces team, finds them dead in the woods and ends up battling werewolves. For anyone who despises movies where the protagonists don’t fight back and make terrible choices, this one is a refreshing change of pace.
9) If you could tell your young self one thing, what would it be? – Stay the course. At times it will be tough, but you’ll be tougher.
10) Define Magic. – While I could recite the clinical definition of Magic as it applies to Satanism, I prefer to explain it as I would to a child. Magic is what captivates you and in turn, what allows you to hold the world captive. The most mundane of things can hold the greatest of power. The ability of a flame to capture ones attention. The rapture one feels when an infant laughs with joy. The serene peace one can find in the morning sunrise. Whether through you exerting your will to change the hearts and minds of those around you or by ritualistic expression overcoming your own personal tribulations, magic has the ability to change not only the world around you, but that the one in which you choose to move through. (This was beautifully put)
Thank you thank you thank you so much Milton for taking the time to answer my questions. I continue to learn through your words and I can’t wait for the next episode of Raising Hell to come out. Seriously, guys, you have to listen to the show, even if you’re not a parent or not a Satanist.
Stay tuned for even more interviews from our wonderful friends of the Left-Hand Path.